Can I apply for British citizenship after 3 years?


Generally, the most common route to naturalise as a British citizen comes from Indefinite Leave to remain. But a major part of applications are also through the spouse visa route, as it allows you to apply as early as three years after marriage. Whereas, via Indefinite leave to remain, it is a five year citizenship application timeline.

Another route that can take you to British citizenship is a Global Talent Visa, for which you need to be exceptional or a promising talent and endorsed by a recognised UK body in your specific field.

Eligibility to qualify as a spouse

You can apply for British citizenship if you fulfil the following criteria

  • Age 18 years or above
  • You are married to, or in a civil partnership with a UK citizen
  • You both have lived in the UK for at least 3 years before starting with the application process.

You can immediately begin your application if you have either of the following,

  • indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK
  • ‘settled status’ under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • indefinite leave to enter the UK from another country
  • a permanent residence permit to evidence that you have permanent residence status

Additional documents to become eligible

  • Furnish and evidence to prove that you were in the UK exactly 3 years before  the Home Office received your application
  • Prove that you have passed the English language Proficiency test
  • Evidence that you have passed the life in the UK test
  • You both must have a good character
  • No history of criminal convictions as per the UK law.

What to keep in mind?

To be eligible, you should fulfil, either of the following:

  • You should not have spent more than 270 days outside the UK during the 3 years period prior your application
  • You should not have spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of your 3 year period

If your partner works overseas either for the UK government or an organisation linked to the UK government, you can be exempt from this requirement.

What exceptions can be kept in mind

  1. You won’t be able to apply for British citizenship, if your partner has died. In such a case, your only route to British citizenship is Indefinite leave to remain
  2. Your child will involuntary become a British citizen if he/she were born in the UK and when either:
  3. One parent was a British citizen
  4. You were having indefinite leave to remain in the UK or permanent residence status during the time of the birth.

How to apply?

There are 2  routes  to apply for British citizenship by naturalisation.

  • make an online application yourself
  • Take legal assistance

If you choose to apply yourself, you will require to make an appointment with Uk Visa and Immigration services.

You do not need to send your application  documents anywhere, you can either upload them online or get them scanned at your UK visa and immigration service appointment.

You can also apply through the best immigration lawyers in London. A Y & J Solicitors are credible, competent and caring when it comes to representing you. They have been providing bespoke solutions to UK visa applicants honestly and compassionately.

How much does it cost?

It costs £1,330 for an online application and additionally  £19.20 to have your biometric information.