Hiking can be an exciting experience. To go out in the mountains and forests, to experience nature, can be refreshing and healthy, for both body and mind. But if you are new to hiking it can be a bit stressful not knowing what to do, what to bring, what not to bring, and most important of all what to wear. Well not to worry because we are here to guide you through your packing and to let you know what the optimal attire is.
1- The bag
It’s quite simple really, for a half-day hike, you don’t need much. A waterproof Duffle Bag of about 20L with inside:
- Water Bottle: provide 1.5 to 2L per person. Remember to drink regularly and don’t wait until you are thirsty.
- A sweatshirt or fleece that can be easily removed if it is too hot.
- Depending on the temperature, a jacket (prefer a sports jacket or one made for hiking than a city garment that will make you sweat).
- Snacks: It’s always good to plan something to snack on (dried fruits, fresh fruit, cereal bars, or whatever cake you like).
- A midday meal: choose rather light because it will take the road afterwards.
- A mobile phone with a full battery (you can even charge it in the car!) with possibly an external battery. If it’s a satellite phone its even better, but you don’t need to go out of your way to get one.
- A first aid kit: goes without saying, how useful a first aid kit can be, when you are in a location where getting proper medical attention might take time.
- A map can come in real handy on a trail, it not only tells you where to go, but will also help you find your way back if you get lost. Only taking a map is not enough, you should also be able to read it.
For a first hike, there won’t necessarily be a need to invest in specific clothes unless you already plan to use them several times, so it may be a good idea to buy them right away.
Bottom: For the pants, choose something flexible enough. Choose a fairly resistant fabric anyway, the pants should not tear as soon as you sit on the floor. In the worst case, jeans can do the trick very well, and for women a little thicker legging.
In summer, if you are in doubt about the heat, prefer pants to shorts for two reasons: it is better to be a little warmer than to be cold if the temperature drops, and the pants will protect you from insects and other branches.
Top: For the top, a simple t-shirt will be perfect. Depending on the weather it’s always better to keep a jacket handy. It provides an additional layer to keep warm and can easily be removed if the weather turns warm.
For those who can invest a little, in the hiking departments, hiking pants are very well suited: resistant, but light, they will allow you to walk in peace. They might cost a bit more than your regular pants but are well worth the investment. You can get them for cheap if you buy them during a sale or promotions like millets discount code.
Last, and not least, the shoes: above, it’s difficult to give you advice that will apply to everyone because we are so different above. But with shoes, we can be more specific.
You can start with running-type sneakers that remain a little grippy and that will suit you perfectly. Do not take shoes with smooth or worn soles.
However, it’s best to invest in good hiking shows from the start. It cannot be stressed how important shoes are. Proper hiking shoes are comfortable for long walks and they will keep your feet dry even if you get them wet.
Hiking shoes can be a little costly, but it is the single most important piece of hiking equipment in your inventory. As mentioned before, look for sales or use promo codes such as millets discount code. In this way, you can get quality shoes for a little less price.
Of course, don’t forget the sunglasses (even if the weather is ugly! The weather can change), the cap or hat and sunscreen!