What Is Motion Sickness?
Motion sickness is a common effect that happens when traveling. Most people are unable to sit through a long trip. If you fall into the category of people who are not very comfortable with traveling due to motion sickness, this article may help you. You need to find ways of preventing motion sickness.
Causes Of Motion Sickness
Motion sickness occurs when the brain receives conflicting signals about the movement of the body. These signals are delivered by the inner ears, skin receptors, eyes, muscles, and joints. It is a common disturbance of the inner ear. The inner ear is in charge of balance and stability in the human body. Motion sickness is usually related to traveling for distance. Any means of transportation can cause motion sickness, be it air transport, water transport, or any other means. It is essential to learn the ways of preventing motion sickness as it can cause discomfort.
What Are The Symptoms Of Motion Sickness?
The next question may be, how can you know that you are experiencing motion sickness. To learn the methods of preventing motion sickness, you must first understand the symptoms. Some of the symptoms associated with motion sickness include;
- Increase in the production of saliva
- Loss of appetite
- Paleness of skin
- Irregular or shallow breathing
- The urge to vomit
- Sudden outbreak of cold sweat
- General uneasiness
- Frequent belching
If you always get any of these symptoms whenever you are traveling, you are suffering from motion sickness. However, it is controllable, and there are a lot of measures that can aid you in preventing motion sickness.
Who Can Get Motion Sickness
There is no specific gender or group, liable to motion sickness. Anybody can get motion sickness, all depending on your body system. However, most cases of preventing motion sickness occur in children between 2-12 years and pregnant women. Also, people who have migraine can suffer motion sickness. Motion sickness is also non-contagious.
Preventing Motion Sickness
Although motion sickness can happen to anyone, there are still ways of avoiding motion sickness. Follow these tips the next time you travel and watch yourself preventing motion sickness.
Traveling By Air
- It is best to get a seat which is close to the window. Try looking out the windows during your flight. In areas like the window seats, near the front of the aircraft, or beside a wing of the plane, motion appears to be lesser. Also, when you focus on the view from the window, it can help calm you.
- Try to avoid reading during the flight. There is a feel gotten from reading from stationary pages while in motion. This feeling can trigger motion sickness, and all you need are ways of preventing motion sickness, not triggering it.
- Try taking ginger. Ginger can help some people with motion sickness. However, this method of preventing motion sickness does not work on everyone.
Traveling By Water
The motion sickness felt while on the sea tends to be higher than other means. Try choosing a cabin which is located close to the waterline. You can also focus on the views of the horizon to lessen your plight.
Traveling by Road
It is better to sit on the passenger’s seat while traveling by road and again concentrate on the views. This will help you overcome your motion sickness. Also, avoid reading, and strong smells, and make sure the fan vent can reach you directly.
Other Measures Of Preventing Motion Sickness
- Use acupressure: Apply pressure on the inside of your wrist
- Eat and drink carefully before your trip. Avoid fatty, hugely spicy, and alcoholic drinks and food.
- Wear a motion sickness band
- Try chewing.
Treatments That Cab Help In Preventing Motion Sickness
There are some medications for preventing motion sickness which is available.
- Dimenhydrinate chewing gum
- Meclizine; which is most effective when taken about an hour before the trip.
- Ginger and mint are also natural medication for preventing motion sickness in some people.
- Promethazine; which is most effective when taken about 2 hours before the trip
- For severe motion sickness, getting a doctor’s prescription for scopolamine patch can help.
However, if the case of your motion sickness becomes severe and starts causing serious troubles, visit your doctor. Sometimes, the prescription you need might be individual, and there could be other sicknesses attached to the motion sickness.
Now that you know what to do to aid you in preventing motion sickness, you can take that trip you have been scared about.
Also Read; The A-Z of a Cruise Ship